Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Peeves: Flavoured Candy Canes


Today, I had my first candy cane of the year (so did my dog, who got it stuck to her paw and freaked out. Oh well...). It was an awesome Laura Secord one, big and stripey and pepperminty and oh-so-good - it was also meant to be decoration, but meh. Eating this delicious, traditional red-and-white-striped (ok, so there was a bit of green but the taste wasn't affected) cane reminded me of the travesty that is candy canes that come in flavours other than peppermint.
They look atrocious, like the purple-and-green abomination in the picture above. I've even seen ones that were orange and green, and ones that are pure red. Honestly, pure red?!
Despite all this, it isn't the look of these "candy canes" that bothers me. It's the fact that they add some kind of unholy fruit-flavour to them. It's especially horrible when you're expecting it to taste like mint and then get a mouthful of "what the --".
I have nothing against people who like them, by the way. It's just a holiday fact that stockings are hung by the chimney with care, presents are wrapped with corny metallic bows, and candy canes are mint flavoured.
I promise I'll take a picture of that snowman sometime...
~ Pirka


No comments: